Construction Update #13

A lot of work has been done in this update. The interior fitout is nearly complete. Most of the furniture is now installed and work is continuing on the interior headliners. A lot of the electrical work is complete now, and work has started on installing the electronic instruments.

Constructing the headliner for the salon

Constructing the headliner for the salon


As with everything else they do at Outremer, the work is detailed and beautifully done.


Headliner assembly.





Salon ceiling ready for the installation of the headliner.


Cockpit. Not much changed here since the last update since the focus has been finishing off the interior. The goal is to get all the inside done while the boat is in the factory. Some of the exterior finishing will be done after the boat is lifted into the water.


Salon, mast compression post installed.


Stbd side of salon.


Galley cabinets almost done.


Chart table cabinets complete and main electrical switch panel installed.


Port side aft of salon. Refrigerator is installed, but it’s a bit hard to see with the protective covering.


Galley with oven installed.


Galley cabinets and sink.


Galley. The stove cooktop will be installed on the counter on the left side of the photo.


Microwave with storage locker above. Robin has been hassling me for years to have a microwave on our boat! 🙂


Stbd companionway looking forward towards Gavin’s cabin. The doorway on the left is to the Stbd toilet. You can also see the liner on the daggerboard case. This lining was in a suede fabric on earlier models, but Outremer changed to a smoother, more durable fabric that resists mold and is easy to clean.


Gavin’s cabin. Stbd forward. The headliner and bunk bases are now installed. We selected white headliners, because they are easy to keep clean (mold is a huge issue in the tropics) and the white brightens the interior and balances the darker floors and cabinets.


Stbd companionway looking aft.


Entry to Lindsay’s cabin, Stbd aft. Entry to shower on right side of photo.


Stbd bathroom with shower and wash basin. There is a also separate toilet further forward in the Stbd hull.


Lindsay’s cabin. Bunk bases installed providing access to fresh water tank (there is one tank on each side) and storage compartments.


Port companionway looking aft to master cabin.


Master bunk. The slatted bases give good support, provide ventilation, and are light and easy to move aside to access the storage lockers below. Some of the 5X models we have seen have the water maker installed under the bunk, but I don’t like to have to pull apart and remake beds to check the equipment operation and do maintenance, so we installed the water maker in the port engine room.


Master bunk, showing access to air conditioner. The air conditioning on Wildling is modular, so we can run a single unit at a time. Since we have no diesel generator on-board, this allows us to run a minimal configuration based on available hydro-generation power and solar panel output. This is good in the tropics because it can be hard to sleep during the heat of the day when off-watch.


Office with fold out seat in the port companionway.


Port companionway looking forward. The ceiling headliner and the daggerboard case liners are fitted.


Port companionway looking aft to master cabin. The freezer is installed on the left side behind a sliding door that also serves to close off the port hull for privacy. The door is closed in this photo. We decided to install the freezer in the companionway, because we don’t need to access it all the time, and it gives us more storage space in the galley.


This is the same view of the port companionway with the sliding door in the open position, giving access to the salon and hiding the freezer.


Looking into the master bathroom. Port forward. The master bathroom has three areas. The wash basin, toilet and shower compartment.


Washbasin in master bathroom. The ventilation hatch in the ceiling helps keep the bathroom dry and cool.


Stbd transom swim ladder installed. This is a clever feature that hides the swim ladder under a teak panel, so that it isn’t in the way. We were always having to climb around the ladder on our Catana 471, which was treacherous and inconvenient.


Engine room with one of the 75hp Volvo engines installed.


Transom fairing is now complete.


Beginning the installation of the trampoline netting.


Longitudinal beam and trampoline netting. We chose a smaller size net weave than the standard trampoline, because it’s more comfortable on bare feet.


Preparing the attachment fittings for the rotating mast.


Mast rotation ball.



2 thoughts on “Construction Update #13

Leave a Reply